This 35' classic motor
vessel was born in the Spring of 1927. Launched at the Balmar
& Sons Yard in Newcastle Channel located in Nanaimo, British Columbia, on
Canada's Pacific Coast , she was first registered in
1932. The yard is now gone but was located near the site of the present day
Originally named the
Chiquita II she spent the war years (WW II) under the designation VO81K in
her grey wartime livery. Looking for a suitable vessel for their ministry Alf
Bayne, one of the founders of the Pacific Coast Childrens
Mission, located the Goforth at the Burrard Yacht Club docks at the entrance to Vancouver's
Purchased in 1946, by
the then fledgling Mission as their first home and the base for their mission
work among the coastal communities, she spent the next 30 years plying the
coast bringing the mission to small, remote coastal communities.
In his book A Candle on the Coast,
Alf gives a detailed look at the B.C. coast during the early years and Goforth's place in its history.
is powered by single 4 cylinder GM 4-53 diesel engine with only 40 running
hours on it installed in 2002 - parts and service are
available coast wide as over 1 million of these engines are in service.
An extensive "hull up" rebuild was
commenced in the spring of 2000 starting with the careful dismantling of the
existing structure and cataloguing of the various parts and listing the
Fully rebuilt, rewired, replumbed
and with a complete suit of electronics she is
ready for another 50 years on the coast
Minor finishing is being completed to bring
everything to an 'as new' and 'yacht caliber' condition.
Listed in the Encyclopedia of British Columbia
under the Pacific Coast Children's Mission (pg 523)
MV Goforth has always been a Canadian
registered vessel, with Official Number 176495
This historic vessel is an able and tested
coastal cruiser with a fine pedigree and many miles under her keel. She
awaits a new owner to show the many beautiful B.C. coastal cruising areas.